Monday, December 10, 2007

The Pyramids of Teotihuacán, 11/20/07

The pyrimads of Teotihuacan are about an hour away from Mexico City by bus. There are some very nice pyramids and platforms and lots crumbled ruins of which little remain.

My journey started with a ride on the Mexico City metro to the northern bus station. There is a bus line that has a direct bus to the pyramids. It also serves a nearby town, and I was surprised that I was the only person to get off the bus at the pyramids. (Thankfully, the bus driver gave me a little prod at the appropriate time.)

There were not many people at the ruins when I got there. As such, I got even more attention from the people selling trinkets. They didn´t try the hard sell, though.
When I go on these little excursions, I always make sure that I pack some food in my bag. Except that day. I had the food but forgot to put it in my bag. After about 10 minutes of walking around, I was really kicking myself. And the museum snack shop was closed that day, naturally. I managed to make it through without too much trouble.

You can climb up a large number of the ruins, including the two big pyrimads--the Pyramid of the Sun and the Pyramid of the Moon. The Pyramid of the Sun is the larger and is quite a climb. You can go all the way to the top and get a 360 degree view of the surrounding countryside and the other ruins.

One can only climb part of the way up the Pyramid of the Moon, but it is still a good view. While up there, I took a picture for some German guy who in turn took the picture of me you see here, with the Pyramid of the Sun in the background.

When it came time to leave, I had to ask where to catch the bus. The guy at the entrance told me which exit to use to catch the bus, but there was no marked bus stop. I asked the guard there where to catch the bus. I asked in Spanish, but he responded in English. I guess that shows how good my Spanish is.

I waited across the street to catch the bus at the unmarked bus stop. I was the only one to get on the bus. It was an uneventful ride back to Mexico City, where I finally got some food, after way too much walking to get to a restaurant.

2 comments:

U Chandra K said...

finally... it took a german guy and a pyramid to get a picture of you in the blog.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!