Thursday, July 5, 2007

Around the World #10 (05/16/03, Darjeeling)

Rather than wait two weeks for the next travalogue, I'll only wait a day this time.

Friday, May 16:

Today was spent in Darjeeling. I started out trying to arrange transport to the airport tomorrow morning. (It is very far away.) I wasted all morning running around to various places to find out my options. None are very appealing. Oh, well.

There was some Budhist parade and celebration going on today.

There is a "ropeway" (a sky cable gondola) a mile or two from Darjeeling. I decided to walk there and take the ride. I found a footpath on the east side of the hill, which was really cool. It seemed like I was the only person on the path who didn't have a date.

I took the ropeway, which was ok, but didn't have views as good as the walk there. I was in the gondola with a family from Chenai (Madras), and we chatted a bit.

I walked back to Darjeeling on the west side of the hill, which is more populated. I took the road for a bit, then went onto a dirt path through the tea fields. Like in Gangtok, when I hit town, I took the little foot paths going between the houses in the sparsely populated areas.

The cool trek in the afternoon made up for the pathetic morning. After the hike, I was starving, so I had a snack of pav baji and masala dosa. (I can see a few people's mouths watering already.)

Tomorrow, off to Kolkota (Calcutta).

Later,

Sid

No comments: